The Albany, Piccadilly, London
This house organ was built for Sir Bryan Thwaites who at the time lived at The Albany, Piccadilly, London.
The Albany was built by Henry Holland in 1802 by converting and adding to the former Melbourne House of the 1770s. Two blocks are separated by a paved and covered walk between Piccadilly and Burlington Gardens where the two entrance lodges remain. The 69 sets of chambers have had a number of famous residents.
The organ is an extension organ with 6 speaking stops being extended to 26 including couplers.
Metal pipes provided by Terry Shires – Voicing by David Frostick – Switch gear provided by AJ & L Taylor Ltd
The instrument was kindly donated to Dulwich College in South London in 2007 and now resides in The Old Libray.
Click on these images to see the build in progress:
Thwaites Build 1
Thwaites Build 2
Open Diapason 8
Stopped Diapason 8
Stopped Flute 4
Twelfth 2 2/3
Tierce 1 3/5
Spitz Gamba 8
Larigot 1 1/3
Albany Hautboy 4